At the conclusion of the negotiations, UN Females Executive Director, Sima Bahous, mentioned: “This year’s Agreed Conclusions are game-altering and bring forward our vision of a extra equal and connected planet for females and girls in all their diversity. It is our job, as we leave right here these days, to translate them into reality. The ultimate achievement of these Agreed Conclusions lies beyond their finalization these days, in how we will collectively take them forward. They bring us a vision of a extra equal planet. Let us translate them into reality for all females and girls.”
CSW67 reaffirmed the significance of females and girls’ complete, equal and meaningful participation and leadership in science, technologies and innovation, and expressed concern on the restricted progress in closing the gender gap in access to and use of technologies, connectivity, digital literacy and education. It also expressed grave concern about the continuity and interrelation amongst offline and on the web violence, harassment and discrimination against females and girls and condemned the enhance of such acts.
The Commission known as for considerably elevated public and private sector investments to bridge the gender digital divide, extra inclusive innovation eco-systems, and the promotion of protected and gender-responsive technologies and innovation. It also known as for inclusive and equitable top quality education in science, technologies, engineering, and mathematics, info and communications technologies and digital literacy to make sure that all females and girls can thrive in a quickly altering planet.
Initiatives to market innovation and technological alter, and education in the digital age for attaining gender equality have to take into consideration the following:
- Create digital tools and solutions to address the requirements of all females and girls, across sectors and geographies, specially for their education, well being, financial empowerment and engagement in public life, and make sure females and girls have access to digital literacy and abilities all through their life course.
- Mainstream gender in digital policies to take away barriers to equal access for all females and girls, which includes these living in poverty, in rural, maritime or remote places, with disabilities, Indigenous females and girls, migrant females and girls, and older females.
- Foster a policy of zero tolerance for gender-primarily based violence that happens by means of or is amplified by the use of technologies and make sure that public and private sector entities prioritize its prevention and elimination.
- Mainstream a gender viewpoint in the style of emerging technologies and adopt regulations to make sure they are topic to sufficient safeguards to combat new dangers, gender stereotypes and adverse social norms, information privacy breaches and increase transparency and accountability.
- Market policies and programmes to accomplish gender parity in emerging scientific and technological fields and produce supportive workplaces and education settings, which includes by means of gender-responsive education, distance mastering options and interdisciplinary approaches combining the teaching of social sciences and scientific fields.
- Create gender-responsive innovation that challenges gender stereotypes and adverse social norms, including by means of the improvement of digital content material, awareness campaigns and teaching competencies for constructive engagement on digital technologies that engage, educate, encourage and empowers youth, which includes young guys and boys, to develop into agents of alter for gender equality.
The 67th session of the Commission on the Status of Females took spot against the backdrop of continued backlash against women’s rights globally, from elevated violence against females in the public space, to the gender impacts of the earthquakes in Syria and Turkiye, to the each day horror that females and girls face in emergency and crisis settings which includes in Afghanistan, Ukraine and Iran.
In the initial totally in-individual session following 3 years of the COVID-19 pandemic, CSW67 registered incredibly higher numbers with extra than 7,000 participants, which includes four heads of state and government and 116 ministers, 205 side events on UN premises, and about 700 NGO parallel events.
For the initial time, the session incorporated an interactive youth session with young people today, youth representatives of delegations, civil society and United Nations organizations , engaging in dialogue and giving suggestions on how to make sure young females and girls are aspect of the digital transformation. The Commission also benefited from critical contributions from a wide variety of civil society organizations which includes the leaders and commitment makers of the Action Coalition on Technologies and Innovation for Gender Equality, launched as aspect of the Generation Equality Forum. The Action Coalition on Technologies and Innovation for Gender Equality has produced a substantial contribution in cementing alliances amongst Governments, private sector, civil society and the UN method and in driving momentum and commitments to advance gender equality by means of technologies and innovation.